Payroll and Benefits SpecialistLocation Burlington, Ontario | ID 2019-1721 Apply Now
PetSmart’s Canadian Home Office (CHO) is home to approximately 50 full-time associates who work in departments such as Human Resources, Merchandise Buying and Pricing, Replenishment, Marketing, Finance, Space Planning and more. The small but mighty team at the CHO supports the operations of 140+ PetSmart stores in Canada and works closely with counterparts at PetSmart’s global corporate headquarters located in Phoenix, Arizona. We also share the Canadian home office with our colleagues at PetSmart Charities of Canada—an independent, registered charity dedicated to reducing pet homelessness and supporting the bond between people and pets.
About the Job:
The HR Specialist, Payroll & Benefits- Canada is responsible for supporting payroll, benefits and HR administration for all Canadian associates. This includes providing support to associates and leaders via in-person, phone or email methods regarding payroll, benefits or HR related questions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Process weekly timesheets, punch edits and reclasses using Kronos.
- Calculate and process pay in lieu and severance for Canadian associates.
- Support field and home office with requests concerning payroll and benefits.
- Conduct audits and reconciliation for salaried and hourly associates on a weekly basis.
- Work pre and post audit reports for Canada payroll.
- Process and submit Record of Employment (ROE’s) for Canada.
- Complete Ministry of Labor compliance checks and Statistic Canada surveys as required.
- Assist in year-end process, validations and reconciliations.
- Complete complex and proactive reporting, and ad- hoc reporting as needed and requested.
- Calculate, reconcile and remit benefits premium to vendors and government.
- Provide efficient and thorough customer service.
- Maintain knowledge of functional area and company policies and procedures.
- Make recommendations to implement improved processes.
- Participate in and contribute to assigned Payroll/HR projects as needed, including testing.
- Maintain highest level of confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned.
No direct reports; provides training and guidance to lower-level positions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
University/college degree in Business or Human Resources is preferred. Five years of experience in a customer-facing Human Resources, Benefits or Payroll position is required, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge of all provincial employment legislation required.
- Experience with SAP HCM/Payroll system and various transactional requests preferred
- Experience with Kronos time management
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills, to include vlookup and pivot tables
- Able to create complex reports and analyze data
- Proficient with Microsoft Outlook and Office (Word, PowerPoint, Access) as well as Adobe Acrobat and other commonly used applications
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communications skills
- Ability to work within a remote team and foster a team environment
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, meet deadlines and organize a high-volume work load
- Ability to adapt to a flexible schedule
- Maintain a high attention to detail
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
None required. Payroll and/or Benefits designation is preferred.
About the Culture:
Our Canadian Home Office is truly that, a home office. It’s a place where individuals across various departments can align their passion for pets with their desires for professional growth. You’ll be a part of a close-knit team, while still being a part of a large, best-in-class retailer. And while the team may be smaller, the results are impactful! The Home Office boasts a large, open concept with natural lighting and serves as the perfect setting for office events. An active social committee hosts fun-filled events including contests, bake-offs, off-site events, and volunteer efforts, and they are always trying to out-do the previous event!